Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chocolate Applesauce Cake: Allergen-Free!

Ever come across someone who is: gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, sugar-free, and wonder what in the world they can eat? I'll be honest, I'm not sure how people do it day in and day out. However, thanks to two wonderful women in my life, my mom-in-love and sis-in-love, I'm entering into that world and loving it.


All of my previous baked goods came from a box. And not a healthy one. I'd go to the store, buy a box, bring it home, mix, bake and serve. To cook from scratch scared me. Not sure why, but wasn't it just easier to open a box, throw in some eggs, water and oil and call it good? Well, it certainly was easy, but once I started reading labels and caring about what I saw, I couldn't buy the poison harmful fake chemicals anymore. Then, this cake entered my life and I was hooked! It's so easy!

So, this is to make all you gluten/sugar/egg/dairy intolerant folks--and anyone who loves chocolate cake happy.

What you'll need:

2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup cacao or cocoa powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup honey
3/4 cup oil; I use organic, expeller pressed canola oil, can use coconut
2 1/4 cup naturally sweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla



Pre-heat oven to 350*



Sift dry ingredients together, or just mix with wire whisk.



In separate bowl, combine wet ingredients.



Combine dry with wet and blend well.



Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Cook's note: I use Demarle flower mold that does not require extra grease, but did increase baking time to approx. 40 minutes.



This cake is delish! It's moist, dense and has been known to cure chocolate cravings.



You can make a yummy ganache using 1 can coconut milk, 3 Tbl cocoa or carob powder, 1/8 tsp Stevia, 1 tsp vanilla. Bring to a boil stirring often, don't overcook. If you put it in the freezer 20 minutes prior to serving, it thickens up and not as soupy.

Though I've had this ganache with this cake and love it, I've yet to make it because I don't think it's a must. I'm not a real saucy kind of gal--contraire to what my husband might say. ;D My hubby, who loves his food drenched, put applesauce on top and, I must admit, it was yummy!

So, there you have it. A yummy, easy, allergen-free cake that doesn't taste like cardboard. :) Enjoy!!



Don't forget to clean up. ;D

And...expect to see this--











1 Shout Outs:

Loraena Tuttle said...

You forgot corn-free, soy-free, tomato & potato-free =) Anyway, this looks yummy. I'll be trying it sometime soon.