Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Serving With the Right Heart

It always amazes me when I see a mom maintain not only a blog, but a blog about doing things yourself. Like this:

Cute isn't it? But, how does she have the time to maintain a home, raise her kids, love her husband and make burlap wreaths--THEN tell the world about it? Well, I'm sure she would say she doesn't do it all because she is some super-human. I'm slowly seeing that there are many talented women out there that do things differently than me, and not because they have some secret hidden power. I believe they have found their gift, embraced it and use it to the glory of God. Okay, the last is assuming they have moved from appreciating God's common grace into His saving grace. But, the point is, I need to stop looking at other people's gifts with envy and sadness and start praising God for what He has given me, then rejoice and use it.

I posted a facebook status the other day that said: Has a burden to minister in my season of child-rearing. How to balance it all? By God's grace. Romans 1:16. This sparked a lot of thumbs-ups and several comments that reminded me of my first and foremost area of ministry: my children and husband. My kids need to be raised in the truth and knowledge of Jesus Christ. My husband needs my support and encouragement to walk worthy of the Lord. Together, we need to raise our kids with a purpose to make much of God. I can not agree more. This time of having my little ones at home is fleeting and I better not get so involved with the church that I neglect my family.

But, having said that, I also can't get so wrapped in my family that I neglect the church. Though I have four children, I am not too busy to serve. There's a reason for why I think I'm not serving or serving enough. Because I look at what others are doing and I compare my talent to their talent. I have spiritual envy. Instead of rejoicing over the gifts of my fellow brother and sister, I pine for the same talent or sulk at the inability to do it their way. How sinful.

God did not make a mistake when He made us. Each has a unique gift and a season to use it in. As I manage my home I want to be more aware of the little eyes watching me and make sure I am making so much of God, that I become invisible. These little ones will learn more by my actions than my words. So I pray I will become a doer of the word and not a hearer only.

Lord, help me keep this burden to serve continually before you. I need direction and gospel-centered motive so you will be glorified and magnified. Satisfy my longing heart with your steadfast love, grace and mercy. In Jesus' name.

2 Shout Outs:

mariel said...

finding balance is certainly the name of the game, isn't it? You so spoke my heart in this post. I am a homeschooling mom of two boys under 10. My dear hubs has been laid off the last few months and the Lord has allowed me the opportunity to teach BIble study to a precious group of interdenominational ladies each Tuesday night. Balance is huge. But priorities is TOP! My man and my boys get the best of me, then I pour into those ladies as the Lord allows. I aim to stay daily connected to my Heavenly Father in order to be filled up enough to pour out to everyone! By His incredible mercy and grace I seek to bring Him MUCH glory. Praying for you as you seek His will fr your sweet life.

Blessings~ M

mariel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.