Thursday, December 24, 2009

Celebrating Jesus

Learning to submit to our husbands is not easy. Any woman will admit there are areas that are easier to submit to than others. My husband is very easy going and I know he loves me deeply. He lets me get my way (in a healthy way) most of the time. If there are two events to choose from, he's pretty good about letting me pick the one we should attend.

Tonight, being Christmas Eve naturally there were a couple of things we could do. One option was to join our church family at a member's home and celebrate with our friends. The other was to attend the church in our little town of Banks and fellowship there. I was definitely voting for the former. I love people and parties and celebrating holidays with those I know and love. Going to a local congregation did not appeal to me because I knew I wouldn't know anyone there. This church however, has members and attendees that Doug knows from his childhood. Growing up in Banks that makes sense, right? Well, forget about Doug. I want to go to a place where I know the people and where I can have a good time. See how incredibly selfish I am?

Thankfully, my husband said no to my request to party at the Bauman's and insisted we attend the candlelight service at Dayspring Church. And boy am I glad he did. I was so blessed tonight as we were surrounded by people who celebrated Jesus. The music was joyful, yet spoke a message. The admonition from the pastor was loving but purposeful. I heard the gospel tonight and rejoiced in it.

As we closed the service with our candles in hand, the song we sang was Shine Jesus Shine. What a great way to end this night with our minds focused on the work of the Son, the One who overcame the darkness of sin! Here are the lyrics. May you rejoice in the Light of the world tomorrow and celebrate the birth of our risen Lord and Savior.

Lord the Light or Your Love is shining,
In the midst of the darkness shining,
Jesus light of the world shine upon us,
Set us free by the truth You now bring us,
Shine on me. Shine on me.

Shine Jesus shine
Fill this land with the Father's glory
Blaze, Spirit blaze,
Set our hearts on fire
Flow, river flow
Flood the nations with grace and mercy
Send forth Your word
Lord and let there be light.

Lord I come to Your awesome presence,
From the shadows into Your radiance,
By the blood I may enter Your brightness,
Search me, try me, consume all my darkness,
Shine on me. Shine on me.

As we gaze on Your kindly brightness.
So our faces display Your likeness.
Ever changing from glory to glory,
Mirrored here may our lives tell Your story.
Shine on me. Shine on me.

0 Shout Outs: